Thursday 8 May 2014

Help your child maintain their English skills


I am currently covering for an Occupational Therapist who is on materntiy leave and usually works in a Special Education School. It's nice to be managing to work in a Hebrew speaking environment as an immigrant who did not know much if any Hebrew on arrival to Israel. But there are some students who pick up immediately that I am a native English speaker. 

Each day there is at least one child I come across who says, "Do you speak English?' 

"Yes," I respond, "Do YOU?"

So I discover they were born in the US and came to Israel with their family as new immigrants. Learning a new language and the stresses of integration for these students has necessitate their attending a Special Education School. They are excited to find a therapist who speaks English, but try as they might to speak their own home language and they really struggle.

Do you find your child is struggling to cope with the multiple adjustments to life in a new country? Do you find that attending school in a second language is affecting their ability to maintain their English skills?

If so, I invite you to send your child to occupational therapy sessions with me. As an experienced occupational therapist, I offer sessions both individually and in small groups. The sessions provide age appropriate activities, that are creative, fun and carefully structured to assist your child to make these adjustments more effectively and to maintain their English skills in the process.

Visit my website and contact me to schedule an appointment. Do visit frequently as the website is currently being upgraded and I do hope you will enjoy the changes and improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails